Website Research: Olly Moss and Matt Ferguson

For this term, I have a major project designing a film campaign. To enhance my capability and knowledge, I will be evaluating the websites and work of my inspired artist which are Olly Moss and Matt Ferguson. I am going to analysis those two websites and evaluate based on how convenient it is to navigate all the menus, is it fully functional and whether all the information provided are completed or helpful by the showcase of their website. The reason I am doing this website research is purposely to enhance my comprehension of making my own websites. I will be firm about the aspects of the design of the website, colour scheme, typography, navigation bar for the user interface and user experience, social media links and most importantly mobile view.

I will start with Olly Moss website. The first aspect I will take a look is the homepage design. My first impression of the homepage is amazing. It has a good grid of his work laying out, it has a header of navigation with his own logo on the left of the header. Not to mention but the homepage of his website might be over minimal. The homepage just merely his work that he did without a context of any information. The background colour also just white but it seems to me that he has no desire to make his websites interesting. 




Then I click on one of his artwork on the homepage to see what is the context of what he was working on his artwork. I am going to be honest that I am disappointed by it. All he has in his page of artwork was just a list of the related design that he made, the title of the work and his client name. He leave a spacious amount of white space where he could elaborate the context, story or skills he using. I really wish that he will add some context or narrative story of how he made his work as I admire him as a designer. If he add a good and simple context it would so much helpful. Again, I am sure that he do not have any initiative of making his website interesting.




Back to the homepage, I then go through the navigation bar. First, I click on "About" expecting to knowing him better and what is his history. I was shock. All he wrote was his birthday, where he work and an unnecessary illustration. How peculiar. I was expecting to knowing him better of how was his journey becoming a successful designer. I am beyond disappointed.



Onto the next page, his contact page. Again, this website is utterly disappointing. He did include his email address to contact him however the design and typography does not reflect him as a designer. His contact page is tremendously empty with white background. I am speechless right now.




Then, all the other page is his Twitter and Instagram page. As expected, Olly Moss is a famous designer. He has 86.3K follower which is a lot. To my surprise, his Twitter page does not show him as a designer. All he posted was just a random thing that unnecessary and not related at his career at all. Perhaps he was not really taking his career seriously. I think he could improve his Twitter by showing his work, the process of how he did his artwork or even what he's doing in his career right now.




Then, next to his Instagram page. Now, at least he is showing his artwork that he designed in his Instagram. He has 60 post and 56.9 follower by the time I am writing this now. I am glad that he showcase all his artwork in here. His account is full with aesthetic design that he made. Although, I think he should give a narrative story or even describe of what he is doing in his post in the comment section so people know what he is doing.




Last but not least about his website, I open the website in my phone to see the mobile view. In the mobile view, the arrangement everything was neat and accessible. Other than that, everything was pretty much the same. Nothing particularly different from the desktop view. 

In summary, the overall experience of accessing his website is utterly disappointing. I really wish that he could provide more initiative in improving his website. He write more about him and the process of how he done his artwork as describing that will efficiently assist all the designer including me that inspired by him. Fill up those white space and reflect his website as a designer. Perhaps if he improve his websites, I will visit it again.

Next, the second website I will look out for is Matt Ferguson website. I will start by his homepage evaluating the design on it and all the navigation bar. Is t functional or not and I really hope that he include more information and context so I can understand his artwork. I know him as he one of the designer that designed a Marvel film campaign poster. 

For this one, I do not set any expectation so I do not get disappointed. When I first access his website, homepage is where all he located all his artwork in. All his artwork are incredible and artistic. Besides, he has his name and the logo on top left of the website. Then, the navigation bar also only have folio, store and contact. His background just a black colour as his homepage filled with his artwork. I believe that this homepage is again over minimal. He could add more intriguing topic beside his artwork. 



After that, I try clicking onto one of his artwork expecting information and context about the artwork. All the information given was the title of the film campaign design and his client. That's everything that he include in his artwork. No description or format about his artwork. I am clueless.





Onto the next page, I click on his "Store" page on the navigation bar. On the page, he put his own design as his background with title of "The Art of Matt Ferguson". Then I scroll down looking for designed that he selling. I was devastated because he only sell two of his design and regrettably all his design sold out. There is not so much content he added here. I feels like he is not keep the website updated.




Then, I take a look at his contact page which is the last page in his website. I am not expecting anything from contact page but in this page all he has just a black background no design. All he did provide just a link of his Twitter and his email address. He could at least design the page by putting some images so it look more colourful. 




I also take a look at his Twitter page. He has 77.5K followers not surprise because he designed some of the Marvel Studio film poster. After look thoroughly at his Twitter, I have to say that at least he posted something that related to his career as designer unlike Olly Moss. His Twitter also are updated which by the time I am accessing right now he was just uploaded 3 hours ago. However, still I think he lack of context of his Twitter page same like the website.



Last but not least, I accessed his website on my phone to see is it functional on the mobile view. In mobile view, everything seem functional and well organized just same as the desktop view, lack of content. There was not much going on in it. 

To sum up, I am beyond disappointed in his website. He got so much potential improving his website because of his artworks all are incredible are gorgeous. I really appreciate every essence of his poster but again his website does not reflect him as a creative designer. In future, I hope that he will improve and make it more creative and at least include some context of his artwork.

Based on those two website, two of them leave me in devastation because of the lack of design, content, context and the navigation bar. On those two website, I could not even know them better as they do not provide any information about them or facts or them at all. I know nothing about them after going through out their website. They also leave a quite spacious amount of space in their website which is surprising because as a designer we need to take advantage of a space to not make it look empty. Both of them did include all their artwork but also no context of their artwork. I really wish that they could describe of what they doing on their design, describe the rules and aspects they apply on their design as it will surely help all the designer out there that inspired by them. Their store page also was really empty and nothing much going on. In my opinion, they have the capability of keep updating their store page and make a lot of money because their work are terrific. People will definitely buy their artworks if they keep it updated. Also, Olly Moss have "About" page but just empty and Matt Ferguson do not have about page. They should try make a about page that describe about their journey, facts about them and who are they inspired by. On contact page, Moss provide his Instagram to showcase his artwork meanwhile Ferguson only provide his Twitter to showcase his artworks. They could really improve their social by make it more professional. To my surprise that, they are very famous designer but do not reflect as a professional designer at all. On the mobile view, both of them have no problem, their website are fully functional just lack of content. 

This is a good experience as a student evaluating the designer website as I will make sure to avoid all the mistake made by them. I will consider more creative and interesting looking website with full of context and content. I also have wrote "About me" page so people know who am I. I will also describe every artwork that I made professionally and make more content in it. I want to make my website engaging and compelling which promote excitement on people who accessed my website. I will keep a correct colour scheme and appropriate text of my website. I will make sure that both desktop and mobile view especially work fully functional as majority of people access website through their mobile phone. 









Comments

Post a Comment